There are so many places to enjoy the fine food of Annapolis, and one of them is by buying local ingredients and cooking at home. Luckily, your vacation home’s kitchen will be perfect for that! Here are some easy Maryland recipes to try while you’re here:
Easy Spiced Rum Balls
Prep time: 20 minutes
Wait time: 3 hours
• 12 gingersnap cookies
• ½ cup macadamia nuts
• 6 tbsp powdered sugar
• 1 tbsp lime zest
• 1 tbsp lime juice
• 5 tbsp spiced rum of your choice
• 2 tbsp corn syrup
• 1 cup coconut flakes (toasted, unsweetened, & crushed)
Steps to Prepare:
1. Process the cookies into crumbs with a food processor, then pour them into a mixing bowl. Next, process the nuts, then throw them into the bowl with the crumbs, along with the lime zest and powdered sugar. Stir well.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the spiced rum, lime juice, and corn syrup. Combine this new mixture with the crumb mixture, mixing them until consistency is reached. Refrigerate for 10 minutes, covered.
3. Divide the mixture up into small 1-inch balls on a baking sheet, which you’ll then refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
4. Roll the balls in the coconut flakes before serving.
Lemon Zucchini Drops
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
• ½ cup butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 cup zucchini (shredded)
• 1 tsp lemon zest
• 2 cups flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
Steps to Produce:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. This is a great East Coast dessert and is quick to make. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Then slowly add in the shredded zucchini, the egg, and the lemon zest.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt) well. Then combine the two mixtures.
4. In a separate bowl, prepare the lemon glaze by mixing the 2 cups sugar and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Save for the end.
5. Divvy the mix up in little spoonfuls on a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden.
7. Drizzle the glaze after they’ve cooled down!
East Coast Lover Cocktail
Prep time: 10 minutes
Wait time: 2 hours
• 1 1⁄2 oz Bols genever
• 1⁄2 oz Amaro Abano
• 1⁄4 oz Palo cortado sherry
• 3⁄4 oz cinnamon syrup (1 cup sugar + 1 cup water + 5 cinnamon sticks)
• 3⁄4 oz fresh lime juice
• 2 dashes Angostura bitters
• club soda
Steps to Prepare:
1. Make the cinnamon syrup first by boiling 1 cup water, then mixing it together with 1 cup sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Add 5 cinnamon sticks and set aside for 2 hours. You can save this syrup in the fridge for your entire vacation.
2. Throw the drink ingredients into a mixing glass with some ice and shake it up.
3. Strain into a Collins glass (filled with ice).
4. Add a slice of lime and a dash of nutmeg for garnish and kick back on your porch to enjoy the beautiful Annapolis sunset.
Find Your Vacation Rental and Maryland Recipes Today!
When it comes to groceries and ingredients, it’s always rewarding to shop local. Check out the Maryland Table farmers’ market; it’s near the water and makes for a fun afternoon outing! Get in touch with us today at (888) 508-9661 or (435) 571-0024 and we’ll help you figure out which Annapolis vacation home you’ll be cooking in this year.